All words are divided into grammar groups.
The grammar groups are called parts of speech or word types.
The groups are:
- Nouns (people, places, or things)
- Verbs (the state or action word in a sentence)
- Adjectives (give more information about nouns)
- Adverbs (give more information about verbs)
- Determiners (words that come before most nouns)
- Prepositions (give information about place and time)
- Pronouns (replace nouns)
- Conjunctions (join sentences)
(The numbers in the example below refer to the numbers in the list above.)
Remember that what part of speech a word is depends on how it is used in the sentence.
Each part of speech —
- has its own rules.
- is necessary to write grammatically correct sentences.