A collective noun names a group of people, animals or things.
- A collective noun is singular, they name only one thing, even though they are made up of many things.
- People: audience, crowd, jury, family, group, nation, staff, gang, team
- Animals: flock, colony, swarm, gaggle, herd
- Things: bunch, bundle, set, stack, batch, bouquet, collection
- A collective noun can be made plural. There can be more than one group of things.
- collections, herds, crowds, families, teams
The team plays every day. One team: it plays
The teams play every day. More than one team: they play