“Puddle” M.C. Escher, 1952
Write the main clause or time clause to complete the following sentences.
1. I was sleeping when the phone/ring the phone rang.
2. While , he tripped on the curb. cross/the streethe was crossing the street
3. While , it started to rain. we/have/a picnicwe were having a picnic
4. They were watching TV when the blackout/happenthe blackout happened.
5. I was eating lunch when hear/a loud noise I heard a loud noise
6. she/talk/on her cell phone She was talking on her cell phone when the plane took off.
7. While , they saw a beautiful bird.the children/playthe children were playing
8. They were getting off a bus when on the sidewalk.find/a walletthey found a wallet.
9. Jack hurt his wrist while play/tennis he was playing tennis.
10. Rita was brushing her teeth when doorbell/ringthe doorbell rang.
11. We were waiting for the bus when he/start/a conversationhe started a conversation.
12. While , the photographers ran towards us.the plane/landthe plane was landing
13. While Mary was sleeping last night, someone/steal/her car someone stole her car.
14. I was skiing when break/legI broke my leg.
15. The teacher started to cough while explain/the grammar he was explaining the grammar.
16. she/talk/on her cell phone She was talking on her cell phone when she heard the office phone ring.
17. I/write a composition I was writing a composition when my friend called on me.
18. they/walk on Mission Street They were walking on Mission Street when the accident happened.
19 David/hurt his back David hurt his back while he was playing basketball.
20. When the fire started, Sylvia/watch TV Sylvia was watching TV.
21. Sonia was waiting for me when I/arrive I arrived.
22. When the computer suddenly shut off, I/write an email I was writing an email.
23. While I/look for my credit card I was looking for my credit card, my girlfriend paid for the dinner.
24. Tom and I were having coffee when invite me/to his party he invited me to his party.
25. George was driving to work when run out of/gas he ran out of gas.
26. Dorothy was talking to her friend when step/in a puddle she stepped in a puddle.