“The History of the Theater”
by David Alfaro Sigueiros, 1963
Use the gerund, gerund phrase, preposition plus gerund, or the infinitive to fill the blanks in these sentences.
1. Jerry is interested learn more EnglishJerry is interested in learning more English.
2. They don’t enjoy work on weekendsThey don’t enjoy working on weekends.
3. She wants apply for a job She wants to apply for a job at the Candle Company.
4. The students are very excited watch a videoThe students are very excited about watching a video from “Planet Earth.”
5. Maria appreciated receive cards Maria appreciated receiving cards when she was in the hospital.
6. The Newmans decided rent a car The Newmans decided to rent a car instead flyinstead of flying to Canada for their vacation.
7. Personally, I can’t stand findPersonally, I can’t stand finding Personally, I can’t stand to find a lot of junk mail in my mailbox.
8. On Halloween, my son pretended be an “avatar”On Halloween, my son pretended to be an “avatar”. He painted himself blue. He was very convincing.
9. In order to make progress, you should keep study in school. In order to make progress, you should keep on studying in school.
10. Tomasa is thinking take a computer class Tomasa is thinking about taking a computer class next semester.
11. Four employees are responsible put things away Four employees are responsible for putting things away , cleaning up, and locking the store.
12. The workers are concerned be exposed to The workers are concerned about being exposed to dangerous chemicals.
13. She looks forward graduate She looks forward to graduating from the university.
14. We’re all very tired work so hard We’re all very tired of working so hard for so little money.
15. The boss was in a bad mood, so we didn’t dare complainThe boss was in a bad mood, so we didn’t dare to complain about the bad working conditions.
16. He was nice enough to admit hit my car He was nice enough to admit hitting my car when he backed into the parking place.
17. We’re planning go to Spain We’re planning on going to Spain We’re planning to go to Spain for our vacation.
18. The heavy rain prevented us go shopping The heavy rain prevented us from going shopping at the outdoor market.
20. I don’t like waiting in traffic. That’s why I avoid drive downtown That’s why I avoid driving downtown whenever possible.
21. The students are accustomed write in their notebooks The students are accustomed to writing in their notebooks every day.
22, It is appropriate for customers to insist get fast serviceIt is appropriate for customers to insist on getting fast service.
23. I don’t like mountain climbing because I’m afraid fallI don’t like mountain climbing because I’m afraid of falling.
24. You definitely shouldn’t postpone get a physical checkup You definitely shouldn’t postpone getting a physical checkup if you’re over fifty.
25. They continued see each otherThey continued to see each other They continued seeing each other even after their divorce.
26. Tazuko isn’t used eat American food Tazuko isn’t used to eating American food. It sometimes gives him a stomachache.
27. Would you mind open that window? Would you mind opening that window? It’s very stuffy in this room.
28. We haven’t finished clean your room We haven’t finished cleaning your room yet. Please, come back in a five or ten minutes.
29. The children are very interested learn more about The children are very interested in learning more about astronomy.
30. Don’t forget to thank the cooks prepare that excellent meal. Don’t forget to thank the cooks for preparing that excellent meal.